Planning ahead when buying your currency can often put more cash in your pocket to spend on holiday. Read our top tips to maximise your travel money and squeeze every possible Dollar, Euro or Dirham from your currency exchange.
Travelex Online Price Promise
To max your rates it is worth planning ahead. Buying from Travelex means you benefit from our Travelex Online Price Promise** - if you find a cheaper overall price on foreign currency in the UK we’ll refund the difference.**
Check the total cost, not just the rate
It’s important to look at the total cost of purchasing your currency, not just the exchange rate. If you want to get the best deal for spending overseas, it involves a combination of the best exchange rate, lowest commission, handling costs and delivery fees.
Top Travel Money Tips
- Avoid exchanging currency in your hotel. Our research has shown hotels offer some of the worst rates, so if you do leave it to the last minute or after your arrival, look for a reputable bureau to change your money.
- Don’t lose out on exchanging leftover currency. Travelex’s Buy Back Plus guarantees we will purchase your leftover currency at the same rate you purchased it, commission free.
- We recommend taking a mixed wallet of cash and a prepaid travel money card such as the Travelex Money Card. Foreign currency cards enable you to lock in your exchange rate at the time of loading and are separate from your bank account, which provides peace of mind for those worried about theft or fraud.
- Beware of hidden credit or debit card charges on overseas usage. The Travelex Money Card is free from fees on overseas purchases or cash withdrawals1.
- Be rate-wise whilst abroad. Keep an eye on the rates whilst abroad so you don’t lose out by incorrectly guessing the rate of exchange.
- Be aware of any restrictions that may apply to your currency. Some countries only permit you to take a small amount of currency in or out of the country, while others don’t permit you to take any at all. As this only applies to cash, a prepaid currency card is a safe alternative.
- Do your homework. Before you travel, find out if there are any local customs that apply such as tipping or whether it is acceptable to barter.
1 Please be advised that although Travelex do not charge ATM fees, some operators may charge their own fee or set their own limits. Please check with the ATM before using. Up to the available balance on the card and subject to availability
**For full terms and conditions please visit the Online Price Promise page at www.travelex.co.uk